Polyolefin Resin TORAYPEF™
TORAYPEF™ is long, sheet-like foam that is semi-rigid and features closed cells that are produced via electron beam cross-linking.
With its advanced features such as light weight, heat insulation, shock-absorbing properties, moldability and non-absorption, the product is widely used in a huge variety of fields, including molded interior automotive parts, building insulation, joint filler, pipe covers, and other industrial materials as well as daily necessities, health and sports equipment.
TORAYPEF™ is the registered trademark corresponding to an electron beam cross-linked polyolefin foam developed by Toray using proprietary manufacturing technologies. The product was first launched in 1968 (Showa Year 43) and has since seen use in a large number of different applications. The product was initially developed primarily as a polyolefin foam but high performance grades, including flexible grades (EVA), flame retardant grades and heat resistant polypropylene foam were subsequently developed and sold. TORAYPEF™ is long sheet-like foam featuring an expansion ratio of 5x to 50x and a 100% closed cell structure which exhibits superior cushioning, shock-absorbing and heat insulation properties, water resistance and superior chemical properties, with a wide range of potential applications.
Characteristics of Polyolefin Foam TORAYPEF™
The product exhibits superior resilience and flexibility as well as excellent absorption of impact energy. In addition, it combines comfortable cushioning with firmness due to its closed-cell structure.
Superior Heat Insulation
The product's thermal conductivity, water absorption and water vapor transmission rates are extremely low and the product is well suited as a thermal insulation material.
Superior Waterproofing and Buoyancy
With its closed-cell structure, the product does not absorb water and shows excellent resistance to water and moisture. Furthermore, the product is highly buoyant.
Cross-linking via electron beam ensures that the surface is smooth with fine textured bubbles.
Additional processing steps such as cutting, slicing, molding and adhesion are easily achieved.
Superior Chemical Resistance
Compared with other plastic foams, TORAYPEF™ is virtually immune to the effects of chemical agents.
Cutting and Punching
Cutting is generally performed using a vertical cutter but cutting can also be performed using scissors or a razor. Additionally, punching and boring can be performed using a Thomson punching machine.
The product can be easily sliced using a slicing machine which employs a rotating knife.
Thermal Fusion Bonding
The product can be thermal fusion bonded to other PEF objects as well as steel or aluminum plating. Work can be performed simply by using a hot air gun or a Teflon-coated thermal plate.
A list of adhesives which exhibit good compatibility with PEF is given below.
|Name||Manufacturer||Components||Diluent||Usage||Other Base Materials||Notes|
DC-761D （Summer Use）
DC-6105 （Winter Use）
EX-6E （Summer Use）
EX-8 （Winter Use）
|Chloroprenes||Toluene||Applied to both adhesive surfaces, which are pressed together once dry.||Iron Plate,
|Spraying, roll coating or brush coating can be used.
Good all-purpose adhesive which is water-resistant.
|Water Bond 7
Hitachi Kasei Polymer
|Applied to a single adhesive surface which is pressed to the other adhesive surface following a suitable time interval. Please contact the manufacturer.||Concrete,Other
Effective for soft PVC sheeting
|Well-suited for areas where solvents cannot be used.|
Additionally, products which are thinly pre-coated with adhesive at our manufacturing plant (SP finished products) as well as corona discharge-treated products (EC finished products) with increased adhesiveness are available.
Both vacuum molding and pressure molding are possible. Moldability varies among different product grades; the drawing ratio of PE grades as determined via a straight assay is approximately 0.5 while the drawing ratio of PP grades varies from approximately 0.6–1.0.
Various surface treatments such as embossing, flocking and printing can be performed.
Remarks for Handling
- The figures described herein are representative values of natural colors obtained based on the specific test method, and are NOT guaranteed values.
- For our colored products, the figures described herein will vary depending on the type and amount of pigment, dye, and additive used.
- The information contained herein is currently information we can reasonably obtain. The information may be revised without notice.
- The information contained herein, including but not limited to application examples, does NOT represent, warrant or guarantee the quality or safety of your products. When using our products for your or third party’s products, in consideration of various relevant laws and regulations, industrial property rights, product standards, self-regulatory standards, etc., please conduct product test etc. and confirm the quality or safety by yourself.
- The basis that show the combustion resistance described herein is only the evaluation result in the test performed on the test piece prepared by the procedure in accordance with each specific standard. It can NOT be applied to the risk assessment in an actual fire.
Note: For UL certification values, please refer to the Yellow card issued by UL (File No. E41797).
- When using with medical devices, food packages, safety instruments or toys for infant, and so on, consult us about the concrete application and usage beforehand by all means.
- Regarding export of our products and exports of products incorporating our products, please comply with relevant laws and regulations such as foreign exchange and foreign trade laws.
- Under the chemical substance management system of each country, the chemical substance used in our products is regulated, and it may be necessary to apply separately or it may not be possible to import or export. If you are an exporter or importer of our products, please contact us for regulatory compliance in your country.
- Refer to Safety Data Sheet for this our product before use.
- We make NO representation, warranty or guarantee whether expressed or implied, in respect of fitness for a particular purpose and safety of our products for your products. You will be responsible for ascertaining the suitability of our products for your purpose and safety.
- During drying and molding, volatile components which can irritate eyes, nose, and throat may be released. When such heat treatment is performed, appropriate local ventilation measures should be taken.
- Don't pile stocks too high in order to avoid injury caused by the product falling.
- Please keep avoiding direct sunlight.